Thursday, January 17, 2008

The VSO asks two singers five questions

As a singer, I know how fussy one can be about oneself. Just as a violin player will take care in keeping the instrument from warping or cracking, a vocalist needs to keep his or her instrument, the body, in tip top form. With that in mind, I expected to receive elaborate responses to the pre-performance ritual question, rife with fastidious routines, special diets, and arcane personal depravations (hey, I'm only speaking from experience). On the contrary, Arianna Zukerman, soprano, and Roger Grow, tenor, appear to have good heads (or should I say throats?) on their shoulders. The following are interviews with these two soloists, who you can catch in action performing Beethoven's Missa Solemnis on January 26 at the Flynn Center in Burlington and on January 27 at the Paramount Theatre in Rutland.

Arianna Zukerman, soprano
VSO: As a professional musician, you probably don't find yourself at home too often. What item(s) can't you leave home without?
AZ: I don’t like to leave home without a way to be in touch with home, so my cell phone and computer are a big help on the road. Aside from that things that help me feel like I’m keeping my routine with me help too. I have a really good lip balm that I love (Rosebud lip balm) and my favorite sweater. I have a feeling that’ll come in handy in Vermont in January!

VSO: Do you have a pre-performance ritual? How do you deal with nerves?
AZ: In terms of ritual for pre-performance, there’s nothing I have to do or say (although I am pretty superstitious) but I like to think backward through my day so that I have enough time to prepare myself, take a little time for meditation (helps with nerves) and make sure as best I can I have thought through the performance in my head once or twice. Visualization also helps with nerves. I try to just have a normal day though. It helps to remember that this is a job as much as any other and nerves just happen to go with it.

VSO: If you could be Maestro for a day, what would you program?
AZ: Maestro for a day! Well, it would depend on the day. I’m very into the Easter Oratorio by Bach these days, but maybe I’d really shake it up and ask Mary J. Blige or Elvis Costello to come sing a concert with my orchestra and trade off sets between them and my orchestra. I’d challenge newcomers to classical music not to enjoy an experience like that!

VSO: If you weren't a musician, what would you be doing?
AZ: I always find it difficult to answer the question what would I be doing if I weren’t a musician. I love this job and I’m really blessed to be able to dedicate my life to pursuing this art. But maybe I’d be a chef. Or a talk show host.

VSO: What's your favorite aspect of Vermont? If you have yet to visit, what are you looking forward to?
AZ: I can’t believe it, but I’ve never been to Vermont. My husband went to summer camp at Keewaydin on Lake Dunmore when he was little and loved it, so although I won’t be hiking in January I know it’ll be beautiful and a nice break from what I’m used to. And maybe I’ll find some great maple syrup!

Roger Grow, tenor
VSO: As a professional musician, you probably don't find yourself at home too often. What item(s) can't you leave home without?
RG: My iPod, extra socks, and a book.

VSO: Do you have a pre-performance ritual? How do you deal with nerves?
RG: I have no real ritual, but I do try to make sure the voice works. I don't get very nervous. I tell myself that it would be silly to get nervous about doing something I love to do. What could be greater than singing great music, on a great stage, with other great musicians? If I were nervous, I would want it to be over, and I certainly don't want that!

VSO: If you could be Maestro for a day, what would you program?
RG: Sibelius' Second Symphony and some Bach, perhaps A Musical Offering.

VSO: If you weren't a musician, what would you be doing?
RG: Well, I am also a teacher, so I suppose it would be that, but if not, some other form of artist, I expect.

VSO: What's your favorite aspect of Vermont?
RG: The seasons and the general forward-thinking-ness.

Read Arianna and Roger's bios here.