Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The VSO asks Vanessa Perez five questions

Venezuelan-American pianist Vanessa Perez began her studies at age seven and since the age of eight has appeared in solo recitals and with orchestras in concert halls around the world.
Legendary pianist Claudio Arrau heard Ms. Perez perform in her youth and described her as a “pianist whose technique, musicality, and intelligent approach to the music she plays made a profound impression on me. It is not possible to find a young artist today better equipped with all the necessary qualities that my school of pianists requires from a performer.”
VSO: As a professional musician, you probably don't find yourself at home too often. What item(s) must be packed before you can leave home?

Vanessa: A good inspirational book, my music, toothbrush!...also my passport....

VSO: Do you have a pre-performance ritual? How do you deal with nerves?

Vanessa: Well, I like to sleep on the day, and eat bananas (I need them in the green room, too). If I am well rested, I feel that I can deal with anything.... I guess with the nerves I am kind of used to dealing with them. One just learns to channel them the right way, focusing on the music. I feel it is good to have a bit of nerves, it adds excitement to the performance.

VSO: If you could be Maestro for a day, what would you program?

Vanessa: This is a hard question. There are many works, but Beethoven 7th and 9th would be amazing....

VSO: If you weren't a musician, what would you be doing?

Vanessa: I love make up! So maybe some kind of stylist. I also used to want to be an astronomer.

VSO: What's your favorite aspect of Vermont? If you haven't ever been here, what are you looking forward to?

Vanessa: I am looking forward to performing there very much, working with Maestro Princiotti...and getting some great Maple Syrup.