Thursday, October 4, 2007

Notes from a Composer

The first half of the 2007 Made in Vermont Tour has been amazing. The eloquent and electrifying conducting of Anthony Princiotti, the sensitive and energetic playing of the orchestra and the amazing behind the scenes work of the VSO staff has made this tour more rewarding than I could have imagined. I had the extreme pleasure of being in front of the "home-team crowd." My high school music teacher, Peter Gage, and my teaching colleagues, Anne Hamilton and Jim Chapman, all brought students to the Green Room Program. All of my family members were able to attend at least one of the concerts here up north; my nieces and nephew attended too!

The Wolf, Dvorak and Tchaikowsky are wonderful works, impeccably performed. It's an honor to be in such company! "Rush Patrick's Vision" is a piece that breathes, communicates and carries my intentions to the audience. Prior to hearing a newly composed work, I am sure that every composer feels a little nervous ... not sure if the risks taken and the compositional choices were the right ones. I am pleased with my choices. My family has remarked that this is different than what I usually write, and I was glad to hear that. I wanted to take my work in new directions, and I have. I am grateful for the commitment and sensitivity of Maestro Princiotti and all of the musicians. I can't thank them enough for all of their work.

Now I'm off to finish packing and check my travel route - it's 3 1/2 hours to Manchester from here. I'm looking forward to enjoying the beautiful countryside.



-- Dr. Sara Doncaster